Wales Deaf Rugby Union

Undeb Rygbi Byddar Cymru


Registered Charity

No: 1071383

WDRU web graphic WDRU web graphic 7s Welsh_Rugby_Union_logo.svg IMG_2965

England Deaf 8 - 20 Wales Deaf


Sunday 12 April 2015, Moseley RFC, Birmingham


Two tries by hooker Dan Vella helped Wales Deaf retain the Broadstreet Cup with a hard fought victory by 20 points to 8 against England Deaf at Mosely this afternoon.


Seeking to make it four straight victories against England, Wales were given a stern test by an England team who dominated territory and possession in the first 20 minutes.


Playing with a strong wind at their backs, England were on the front foot from the start and deservedly took the lead after nine minutes with a penalty by scrum half Ollie Fountain.  Further sustained pressure from the hosts saw Fountain cross for the first try of the game after 15 minutes as Wales struggled to get a foothold in the game.


Despite intense England attacks into the Wales half, they were unable to capitalise on their dominance and the visitors grew in confidence.


England struggled to withstand sustained Welsh pressure in the scrum and playing into the intense wind, Wales’ forwards were duly rewarded on 30 minutes as hooker Dan Vella broke away to dive over near the posts.


Centre Celyn Ashton converted to reduce the host's lead by eight points to seven.


With half time approaching, Wales continued to pile on the pressure and England’s desperate defence was breached as Dan Vella crossed for his second try. Ashton converted to give Wales a half time lead by 14 points to eight.


Half Time: England Deaf 8 - 14 Wales Deaf


The key moment in the game came on 44 minutes when England's number 8 was sent off for a second yellow card.


The hosts responded well with some excellent defence as Wales sought to put the game beyond their reach.


The relentless biting wind made conditions difficult for both sides as they struggled to put phases of play together and despite enjoying the majority of possession, Wales were unable to cross the English line as their defence held firm.


Ashton finally put Wales clear on 70 minutes with a well struck 25 metre penalty from near the touch line.


With the game approaching the closing stages, Ashton once again stepped forward with the last kick of the game to secure a fourth straight success for Wales by 20 points to 8.





England: Try - Ollie Fountain, Penalty - Ollie Fountain

Wales: Try - Dan Vella (2), Conversions - Celyn Ashton (2), Penatlies - Celyn Ashton (2)