Wales Deaf Rugby Union

Undeb Rygbi Byddar Cymru


Registered Charity

No: 1071383

WDRU web graphic WDRU web graphic 7s Welsh_Rugby_Union_logo.svg

A determined England Deaf side ended an eight year wait for a victory against the current Deaf World Champions Wales with a 21 points to 8 win at Fylde.


Facing a strong scrum and unable to secure clean possession at the lineout, the visitors struggled to gain any real fluency as England imposed themselves during the early exchanges.


A well worked try by Liam Rhodes earned England Deaf an early lead after 9 minutes while Dunvant outside half Richard Lewis was unlucky with two missed penalties that would have given the visitors the lead against the run of play.


However, Wales responded strongly in the final 10 minutes of the first half and deservedly levelled as flanker James Evans crossed in the corner.

England v Wales 2012

Half time England Deaf 5 – 5 Wales Deaf


England began the second half with concerted pressure in the Wales 22 and should have scored their second try after 57 minutes. However Wales hooker Daniel Hopkins was caught offside and sin binned, which allowed Graham Sage to kick England Deaf into an 8 – 5 lead.


Wales Deaf began to put some promising phases together with the backline enjoying a little more possession, however the hosts’ defence held firm until Richard Lewis levelled the scores again with a penalty after 65 minutes.


With Wales exerting pressure on the England line, a try looked on the cards until possession was lost with the try line looming. The ball was quickly released to England winger Adam Faulkner who sprinted the length of the field to put the game out of reach with 6 minutes to go. Graham Sage kicked the conversion to put England ahead by 18 points to 8.


Wales flanker Adam Brake was shown a red card by the referee for an off the ball incident with nearly the last play of the game.   Sage kicked another penalty to secure a well deserved win by 21 points to 8.


Watch the match for a limited period by clicking here